As the world celebrates Christmas, villagers in northern Burma have fled their their homes in fear Burma Army attacks. Burma Army offensives are underway in northern Shan State, with reports of a village being torched and civilians being used as forced labourers and guides. The Shan Human Rights Foundation, an ethnic community based organisation monitoring human rights abuses in Shan…
Read More »Burma army
A humanitarian aid organisation said that Burma Army offensives during October and November have displaced more than 10,000 civilians,. The Free Burma Rangers, delivers medical aid and monitors conflict areas inside Burma, recorded 92 new armed clashes in parts of Northern Shan and Western Kachin State over the last two months, including attacks by Government aircraft, heavy artillery, and armoured…
Read More »More than 300 farmers from different parts of Shan State gathered to honour the memory of a fellow farmer, Loong Sarm, who was shot and killed by Burmese Government soldiers on October 13. Loong Harm, 54, was travelling alongside 14 others to monitor mining operations in Loi Kham area close to his village when he was shot in the leg…
Read More »A coalition of Shan community based organisations has accused the Burmese Government of committing ‘war crimes’ in the ongoing Shan State conflict. At a press conference held in Bangkok, Thailand, more than 30 Shan community organisations, including Shan Human Rights Foundation, said that Burmese Government soldiers had engaged in the “shootings and rape of villagers.” “[Government] troops have been launching…
Read More »Burma Army soldiers are perpetrating sexual violence against women in conflict areas inside Shan State, according to a local human rights organisation. The Shan Human Rights Foundation documented at least eight cases of sexual violence committed by Burma Army soldiers in ceasefire areas since April of this year. The latest incident allegedly occurred on November 5th, where a 32 year-old…
Read More »Ethnic Shan human rights organisations have urged the Government to halt Burma Army attacks in Shan State, saying these attacks undermine hopes for a lasting peace agreement. The statement, which was signed by 18 organisations including the Shan Human Rights Foundation and the Shan Women’s Action Network, said that recent attacks had already displaced 1,500 civilians. The mass displacement of…
Read More »Ongoing Burma Army offensives in Shan and Kachin State are blocking key armed groups from signing a Nationwide Ceasefire Agreement, the community based organisation, the Women’s League of Burma warned. The NCA is set to be signed on October 15, but only eight armed groups have decided to sign it. “We do not trust Naypyidaw’s [government’s] peace process. It’s clearly…
Read More »The Burma Army has kidnapped and tortured a man from Wan Kawn Yao, Shan State, local villagers claim. The villagers have written a letter to the local Burma Army commander demanding the return of the man, named as 33 yer-old farmer Sai Thein Tun. The villagers claim that Sai Tun was kidnapped on September 10 this year while on his…
Read More »More than forty Karen organizations issued a statement critical of the Karen National Union after it had decided to sign a Nationwide Ceasefire Agreement with the government that excluded the majority of ethnic armed groups. Seven ethnic armed organizations, including the Karen National Union, decided to go ahead and sign the NCA with the government without the full support of…
Read More »A statement released by the United Nationalities Federal Council has warned that ongoing conflict in Burma’s Kachin and Shan States is blocking negotiations for a nationwide ceasefire agreement. The UNFC noted that it had held at least 27 meetings with the Burma Government over the last two years to set a framework national agreement, without success. “UNFC sees that in…
Read More »









